Batwing Camping Tarp (16’ x 16’) for Rain and Sun
Updated September 17, 2021: Fall sale, order now!
The Batwing Camp Tarp is a versatile piece of camping gear. This is huge compared to other outdoor tarps. Use as a portable shelter and sleep up to 7 people under the tarp. Most tarps are just flat rectangles. It can be easily pitched many ways, making it a very versatile shelter. Large enough to cover the dining and lounging area of most campsites or yards!
Pitch options include trees, poles from the forest, solid structures or tarp poles, and even include our Ridgeline Inner Tent.
Camp Tarp (Quick) Video
About the Batwing Camp Tarp
- 16 feet of rain or shade coverage for dining in campsite
- Use to cover tent as extra rainfly and still have additional awning shelter
- Reversible with UV reducing coating for extra shade
- Cord pockets for easy guyline storage
- Includes pre-installed reflecting cord and tensioners
- Catenary-cut for easy setup in several variations
- Main ridgeline aluminum grommet and duel anchor points, for added strength and stability
This tarp has a special kind of cut known as a catenary-cut, which is used commonly in architecture and engineering. Pros will use catenary-cut tarps because it makes drum-tight pitches possible, sheds water more effectively, and uses less fabric (and is therefore lighter). It is ideal for backcountry camping with groups when the forecast calls for rain.
Just simply set the tarp up over a communal area and cook your dinner out of the storm, or even use it as an extra rainfly to protect several tents from heavy rain. Once it is set up and your group is out of the rain, everyone will be thankful you carried the tarp in your backpack. A great way to make new friends!
Large Camp Tarp Specs
- Weather: 3.5 Season (Winter tested)
- Tarp: 3.18 lbs (51 ounces)
- Includes: 10 Stakes, cord and tensioners
- Does Not Include: Tarp Poles (Use 231x, 232x or 197x)
- Large Tarp Space: 16.4' x 16.4' dimensions
- Tie-out Points: 2 x Double Ridgeline + 4 x Corners + 2 Outside Walls = 8 Total
- Guyline Cord: Two 8mm ridgeline cords x 2 | 3mm corner points
- Tarp Packed Size: 16" x 4.5" x 4.5" (including cord, stakes and no poles)
Fabric and Further Details
- Tarp Fabric: Waterproof 68D Polyester PU at 1500mm | Silver UV Reducing Coating (Chrome)
- Available Colors: Dirt Brown, Green, Black, Coffee, White and Purple Tarp (All with Chrome Underside)
- Built-In: Rope pockets for each guyline storage
Uses of Tarp
- Wilderness Backpacking
- Campground Camping
- Backcountry Hunting
- Bike Touring
- Horse and Stock Packing
- Yard at Home
Batwing Tarp FAQ
Why is the underside of the tarp silver (chrome)?
The Batwing tarp is double sided and reversible. One side has color, while the other is coated with UV reducing technology. This coating dramatically gives you more shade under the tarp. Out in the sun? Reverse the tarp and put the reflective coating facing out. This gives you the ability to have your own portable camping shade.
Can I use this tarp as a tent?
Yes you can! The Batwing tarp acts as a waterproof outer tent and can also be used stand-alone, by using a groundsheet as the floor of the shelter. This minimalist style of backpacking, would save your group a significant amount of weight out of the backpacks. Allowing the group to be closer with nature and take the cowboy type approach to camping. Additionally, you can run some paracord under the main ridgeline of the tarp (attaching to the inside loops provided). Then pair it with a Luxe Mosquito Inner Tent.